Instructions for IV Sedation
- The patient will need a companion to stay with them throughout their appointment and drive them home.
- The patient cannot consume any food or liquids (including water) Eight (8) Hours prior to the time of their appointment. (Exception: morning medications if instructed by the Doctor with a sip of water.)
- When brushing your teeth, spit out all the water.
- Wear short sleeves for your appointment. During cold weather you may wear a jacket or sweatshirt over your short sleeves.
- Footwear: Wear closed support shoes (i.e tennis shoes). Do not wear slip on shoes, flip flops or boots.
- Contact Lenses – only wear them if you routinely sleep with them.
- LMX cream – apply the LMX cream 1hour prior to appointment time.
Instructions for Post-op Care
You will receive detailed Instructions on the day of the procedure.
- Replace gauze every 30 mins as needed. If bleeding continues, use a moistened tea bag (regular type, i.e Lipton) in place of gauze.
- You will need ice packs for the first 24 hours. A couple of bags of frozen peas or corn will work.
- Avoid foods like pizza, chips, bagels, rice and any other crunchy, chewy foods for about one week. Suggested foods:
- Day 1 – Soft, cold diet to include: yogurt, pudding, applesauce, protein drinks, milkshakes, etc.
- Day 2-5 – Modified solid diet such as pancakes, eggs, macaroni & cheese, beans, mashed potatoes, chicken or tuna salad, pasta, and soups.
- No carbonated drinks or soda and straws for 3 days.
- Monojet syringe (if given to the patient) is to be used AFTER DAY 3.